Marketing Tips

Social Media for Authors

So, social media is one of the best things that has comes around for authors in a long time, along with self-publishing social media is totally changing the writing game- and making it easier for the normal person to be able to write, publisher, and promote their stuff. Which, to me is really cool but with so many things out there about who we should or shouldn’t use social media- I thought I’d post my own opinions, and while I’m at it I’ve reached out to a couple other writers to see what they think- if anyone wants to share their opinions feel free to do so in the comments!

Don’t be all about you

It’s not not to because soecial media has taught is to post about ourselves and the things we love, but we’ve got to be careful not to post too much about just us. We want to talk about ourselves but it’s important to remember to take the time to engage with other writers out there.

Yes, engage.

With like-minded people, because the best thing social media does is connect you to like-minded people and allow you to talk, get to know each other, and find interesting content.

Liking, commenting, replying, and actually engaging with people on social media is what will get you follows.

A lot of people use the 80/20 rule.

80% content not about you or your book, and the other 20% can be. Now, I’m not going to say that it’s right or wrong. But I think it’s something good to work with and try. See what works for you, maybe it’s 90/10. Maybe it’s close to 60/40. Whatever it is, find it and keep working it until it stops working.

Don’t go crazy with the social media

Only have as many accounts as you can manage to keep up to date with. And if there is a social media site you don’t like, that’s okay too. You can skip that one. Pictures not your thing? Don’t do Instagram. Like to write super long stuff? Don’t do Twitter. It’s cool.

Be a person, not a brand

Now, I might have a lot of people who disagree with me on this but I’m going to say it anyways. Don’t let yourself become a brand. You’re not a brand. You are a person. Yes, you are a business and you have to be professional but that doesn’t mean you can’t be a little personal.

Work slowly to build your audience

It’s okay if it takes a long time to build up a following of people who actually care about what you’re writing. There is no point in having a bunch of followers who don’t care what you have to say, instead focus on people who engage with you, not just post at you.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s